Analysis, Commentary, Opinion
Transform, Part V
Let freedom ring.
Stop the over policing of America, stop the over policing of people of color.
The police cannot prey on the people, their primary functions are to protect and serve, to protect and serve the people, to uphold the rights of the people even against the particular interests of individual police or police departments.
Let us begin with this:
1. Legalize and or de-criminalize the drug markets, regulate and tax it.
a) Treat drug addiction for what it is, a crisis of physical and mental health
b) Allow people involved in this trade the same tools to protect their business and their market share as any other store keeper.
2. Legalize or de-criminalize and sex-workers industry, regulate and tax it.
c) Stop human trafficking and give the people working in this industry the standing to go to court when they are aggrieved, with recourse to the law.
3. If and until we are able to keep America at full employment, we must provide a Universal Basic Income, this will keep people from turning to crime when they are unemployed and unable to find work.
d) Reform the Works Progress Administration and the Civilian Conservation Corps
4. Provide Universal Higher Education, whether this is at a public or private institution, whether it is at a four year college, a two year college, a graduate degree program or a trade school.
e) Invest in the American people, help them discover their purpose and the meaning for their lives.
f) Sign a national infrastructure bill that transforms the entire country: roads and bridges, ports and rail, national and local rebuild America for a green economy.
5. Enjoin ever citizen in a program of National Service, in the United States Military or National Guard, Peace Corps or its equivalent operating in the United Sates.
6. End the injustice of detaining citizens in jail, if they have been charged with a crime and are awaiting their trial, unless they have been charged with a violent crime.
7. Empty Prisons of non-violent offenders. Pardon and or commute the sentences, expunge the records of people who are serving time for their participation in markets that will become legalized and or decriminalized.
8. Provide Universal Health. Every American citizen should have access to health care, from birth to death and every step in between.
9. Provide basic housing to every citizen, get people off the streets, give them shelter, food clothing and the care they need.
We can do all of these things, we can transform America, and if we do we will eliminate the need for much of what passes for police work today. We will refine the scope of their mission in a way that allows for the community to properly support their police, and for the police to properly protect and serve the community.